….That, ladies and gentlemen, is the glorious sound of me tooting my own horn! Today I accomplished a HUGE project and I’m feeling pretty awesome about myself. 🙂
At my last trip to Salvation Army I spotted this chair for $18.00. It was really comfy and had a really cute style to it… and I thought to myself, “self… this chair could be really cute if I put the right fabric on it”. So I bought it with the intention of reupholstering it… something that I have NEVER done before.
There were definitely some difficult times throughout the process of taking out (and stepping on/kneeling on) nails and staples. At one point I was sporting 3 Band-Aids and swollen hands…. These were the times I thought I may have been in over my head…
After all the original fabric was off, I headed to JoAnnes to pick out some new cute fabric. I found a fabric that I liked and bought 4 yards for $20.00, thinking I would have plenty extra in case I messed up. Since I so tediously removed every single staple, I had the original fabric in its entirety and was able to use it as a pattern for the new fabric. I pinned it together, and sewed it where it needed to be sewed and then got to stapling. Handling the staple gun was honestly probably the most difficult piece of the whole project. That thing is SO HARD TO SQUEEZE!!! I started off with the 2 foot rest pieces.
To give my hand a little rest, I painted the legs of the chair with black furniture paint and called it a day. The next day I moved on to the sides of the chair and the bottom seat cushion. It was about this time that I ran out of my 4 yards of fabric (funny how I thought 4 yards would be MORE THAN PLENTY) I am horrible at estimation!
So it was back to JoAnnes for me. But when I got there…. and headed to the home decor fabric section… IT WAS GONE!!!!! When I was there last, there was a whole spool of it, and I really can’t see anybody going in and buying 30 yards of this fabric… so I searched. I searched through the go-back fabric carts, the cottons, the fleeces, the flannels… I went up and down EVERY AISLE and it was nowhere!! Can you imagine my panic at this point?! I had already spent 1 week coming up with excuses not to get started because I was so frightened by the project… then I spent 3 days of blood, sweat, and (almost) tears over this chair!! So I headed to a different JoAnnes down the road and sure enough they had the fabric but only 2.5 yards. I bought it all and prayed that it would be enough, and that I could finish the chair without any mistakes that would require more than 2.5 yards of fabric. Next I finished the back cushion and the arm of the chair.
After the second arm I was starting to get a little coo coo. For the next 2 days I worked on my chair every single minute I could… and when I wasn’t working on my chair, I was thinking about working on my chair. Yeah… I’ll admit it… I even dreamt about it! Well folks… all that hard work paid off because tonight was the night!! I completed the finishing touches to the chair, moved it into my bedroom, and cleaned up the craft room. IT IS DONE… AND I AM SOOO PROUD OF MYSELF!!! The chair looks flawless… even Ben admitted how skeptical he was at first, and how impressed he is now.
The only downfall is that in order to make the chair perfect in the back I had to staple it underneath, so it is no longer a recliner… darn! I guess that just means I’ll need to keep my eyes open for an ottoman next Salvation Army trip… I think if I can handle this chair… then a perfectly squared ottoman would be no big deal for a reupholstering genius like myself. 😉
Total cost- $38.00